Friday, July 27, 2012

Companies to do business with and to avoid

I will update this list as I deal with more companies and I will try to specify my reasoning for placing them in whatever list I do.  

The Good companies to deal with:

Morley Effects - They went above and beyond to keep my 70's Tel-Ray effects working by sending me LDR's for FREE when I was willing to pay!

Antique Electronic Supply - I had a problem with a tube socket in the past which I broke when I attempted to bend the solder tabs (like the old sockets allow for).  I called explaining that they should warn that the new sockets were incapable of having the solder tabs bent as the material was brittle.  They called me back and told me they were shipping me a new socket at no charge and that they would try and get better quality sockets.  Additionally, there is always a person there who you can call and get a real update about what is in stock and not.

Warmoth Guitar Parts - Pleasant to deal with on the phone!  Real people and real pictures of the actual product you are buying!

Acme Guitar Works - Very fast shipping and an excellent website which lets you know what is actually in stock. 

Specialty Guitars - They have the fastest shipping I have ever experienced.  I ordered on a weekend and 10 minutes later, I had a shipping confirmation.  Their website also lets you know exactly what is in stock which I appreciate.  Additionally, they give you a heavy pick taped to your sales order.  Sure I don't use heavy picks, but it is just a nice gesture!

Line 6 - I had repaired a friends rack mounted pod some years back.  They sent me a free replacement part. 

Ruger - I had sent back my Ruger Mark III Competition Target model due to a pin in the mainspring housing shifting into the grip frame.  They took the pistol back on their dime and replaced the grip frame.  Additionally, they sent back all of my aftermarket parts in a bag as requested.  They were unable to be removed as the gun was stuck together.

Smith and Wesson - I had a model 686 .357 magnum which had a chipped firing pin bushing.  They returned the revolver on their dime and replaced the bushing in less than a week.

Henry Firearms - Knowing I was not the original owner of the gun, they returned my AR-7 Survival Rifle on their dime and had it back to me in under a week.  I had offered to pay for replacement parts.  They insisted I sent it back. 

Mouser Electronics - Prompt shipping, good product visibility on their website.  Additionally, they upgraded my shipping from ground to 2 day air for no good reason over a weekend once just for the sake of it. 

Stew Mac - Very fast shipping, lots of free infomation on their website, items are as described or have good user reviews which allow both the good and bad to exist (as in they don't remove the negative comments - you know, being honest), competitive pricing, many guitar specific and exclusive products. 

The SHIT list:

Guitar Parts Plus - Short shipped me for under 10$ in parts - but didn't respond to 2 emails or a phone call.  Will never order from them again. 

Futurlec - Held my order for over a month with no notification.  When they finally told me why the order was delayed (a backorder), they asked that I pay additional shipping above what I had already paid.  I cancelled the entire order.  They refunded me all but 15$ and change.  I asked for the remainder to be refunded.  They said all of my money had been refunded.  This is of course in addition to the 7$ currency conversion fee I was charged by the bank because they didn't charge me in American money (which I think is the root of the entire problem). A week later and a claim with my bank and I was at least reimbursed the 15$ and change.  Will never order from them again. 

EMG Pickups - Zero response to an aftermarket support problem.  Potted electronics make troubleshooting absolutely impossible as well.  Will absolutely never deal with them or install one of their products in anything for anybody for any amount of money again.

No comments:

Post a Comment