Friday, July 27, 2012

Shooting update

I went shooting a couple of weeks ago.  The trip was cut short when the pin that holds my Ruger Mark III Competition Target model sight together started to work its way out of the sight.  It is generally held in place by the friction of the sight assembly.

This is the same gun that previously had a pin work itself out of the mainspring assembly which prevented the gun from being disassembled and required it to go back to Ruger for a replacement grip frame.

I decided not to take any chances and stakes not only the pin for the sight in place, but also the pins that are in the mainspring housing on both my Competition Target model and my Hunter model.

The Hunter model has given me absolutely no issue (with the exception of the Loaded Chamber Indicator getting clogged up and causing jams - removal of this part has since solved the problem for thousands of rounds without a single malfunction).

The real test however will be shooting the gun for a few hundred rounds and seeing that everything doesn't go flying apart.

I have read posts from people in the past which talk about how some people never take apart their Ruger Mark III pistols or even some other guns and just spray cleaner inside of them and blow them out with compressed air.

I think it is really important to take apart any firearm that is in regular use and inspect for any worn or damaged parts.

While at the shooting range, I also spotted a new (well new to me) Ruger 10/22 Takedown model.  I used to have one of those Henry AR-7 survival rifles and while the concept was really solid, I felt like the rifle was made to be cheap.

Henry is a great company!  Don't get me wrong.  They stand by their product and I have had excellent customer service interaction with them, but I just didn't like how cheap that rifle felt.

The 10/22 TD (as it will be henceforth referred) on the other hand looked like a real rifle and the best part is, it is compatible with a multitude of aftermarket parts for the normal 10/22.  Additionally, it accepts 25 round magazines!

I may have to look into getting one in the future, but I think I might have to thin the heard of Marlin .22 rifles I have first.

I also went to a gun show at the beginning of the month.  I picked up some cleaning patches and a plastic magazine for my Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle.  I'm starting to feel like a Ruger salesman.  At about half the price of the normal steel magazine, I felt it was a good deal.  I can't justify 70$ on a magazine!  Even 30$ seems a bit much.

I also looked at Ruger's 1911.  It looked nice and felt like it had some real heft to it, but I don't need another 1911.

Ruger sent me a survey which I have yet to complete.  It asked for gun suggestions.  Here are 2:
9mm Revolver - I know the idea is not new, but nobody (at least to my knowledge) is currently making an affordable and quality variant of this.  It'd be nice if it had a medium or large frame.  I am tired of all of these small frame revolvers.  Sure they have their place in self defense, but they are miserable to shoot for fun.

9mm 1911 - Again, I know this isn't an original idea, but all of the ones on the current market are quite expensive and I don't feel like they have the quality behind them that justifies their prices.

Anyway, the gunshow was a bit of a waste of time.  A lot of paranoids spouting off political agendas and people of questionable sanity (and hygiene) cheering them on.  I hate to say it, but these are the people that give gun owners a bad image.  No wonder I've been way more involved in the guitar lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment